When defining the structure in Excel, the B column is the Account Number and the C column is the Account Name. The A column is used for defining which Accounts are contained inside which Categories. E.g., 'Producer' is contained inside 'Pre Production', because it has the number 1 in the A column. Categories are not contained in any parent Account, so their A column is left empty.
To import the structure into Farmers WIFE save the file as CSV (Comma Delimited) (*.csv) file in Excel.
Server Setup Budget Settings
- Import From CSV File
- Delete All Categories And Accounts - use this option with caution
As you select Import From CSV File, a window opens to Select File To Import From.
Once you have selected the CSV file, the import window opens.
The bottom of the window holds four selectors. These are used to define which columns in the CSV file map to the Parent Account, Account Nr, Account Name and Description. If you prepared your Budget Structure in the three columns as explained above, then the following mappings are to be used:
- Parent Account should be mapped to "Col 0"
- Account Nr should be mapped to "Col 1"
- Account Name should be mapped to "Col 2"
- Description: If you would like to add a comment about that Category or Account, you can add this on a fourth column in your Excel. So in the mapping you need to select "Col 3".
When you click OK, the Account Structure is imported. The result appears like this:
Imported Structure in farmerswifeUse the selector just above the label 'Account Nr' to expand / collapse Categories, Accounts or All.
It is also possible to define or modify your Account Structure directly in the Budget Settings window, without going through Excel.
- Adding: Use the green Plus icon at the bottom of the Account Structure to add a new Category.
The new additions will be available in all existing Budgets, if you have started working with this module already.
- Deleting: Use the Bin icon next to the Category or Account you wish to delete.
Do not delete used Accounts, unless this is done at an initial stage, before you start using the Budget module in production. Once the Budget Structure has been put in use and there is data (Budget Details) linked to its Accounts, the Accounts should never ever be deleted. If they are deleted, the Budget Details will be linked to an Account that does not have any name and Farmers WIFE will warn every time you open an affected Budget. Consult your farmerswife Project Manager.
- Moving: Use the Up/Down Arrow icon to re-sort Categories and Accounts. Simply click on the icon and move up or down to a new position.
The change will apply to all existing Budgets.
- Deactivating: Use the Checkbox icon to set a Category or Account to inactive. The inactive Category/Account will be "invisible" when creating a new Budget.
On existing Budgets, it will also be 'invisible' if no Budget Details had been added to it. But it will still be there to display the Budget Details linked to it, but the green Plus icon will be gone to not allow adding anymore data.
- Renaming: Click on the Category or Account name to rename it.
Do not change the meaning of used Accounts! Use this to fix misspellings only. It is wrong to change the meaning of an Account after Budget Details have been linked to it. For example, if a DAT tape is linked to Account “Deliverables - Tapes / Disks” and the Account is renamed to “Travel Costs”, the DAT tape will still be linked to it, which is not correct.
- Renumbering: It is not possible to change the number of a Category or Account. Here is a workaround in case this is necessary:
1. Create a new Category/Account with the new number and with the same name as the one you are wishing to renumber.
3. Set the current one to inactive. We do not recommend deleting it if the Budget module has been used in production - see explanation under Deleting.
Alternative Budget Structure
To be able to compare Budgets to each other, they must use the same Budget Structure, i.e. have the same Categories and Accounts. However, when quoting a customer, it is sometimes necessary to create the quote using the customer's own Budget Structure. This is possible by creating an 'Alternative Budget Structure' in the Budget Settings window. The quote can be changed to have the new structure by clicking on the pop-up next to the Budget in the Budgets list. This can only be done when the Budget is empty or is otherwise compatible.
Check with your farmerswife Project Manager before implementing this option.
There is an important limitation to consider before creating alternative budget structures: Budgets with an alternative structure cannot be 'Active Budget'. The reason for this is for reporting purposes, you cannot compare apples and oranges.