Basic company and generic settings
- Language: Choose the default language for menus and dialogs in the Server (the Client has its own language configuration). Currently, the languages available are English, Español, Italiano, Deutsch, Français, Danish and Polish. When selecting a new language, the Server will pause briefly.
- Server Password: Specify a password (optional) which is required to enter the server setup.
- Working Day: Define the number of hours in a farmerswife working day. This is used when calculating prices within a group or projects.
- Date System: The format in which dates will be displayed throughout the application, and also important for exports to CSV.
- Time: The format of time information in farmerswife.
- Week Start On Sunday: When enabled, the week starts on Sunday, and Friday and Saturday are considered as weekends. (Only supported in Desktop Application)
- Allow Timezones: Switching this feature ON will allow a company with offices in different countries or time zones to see Bookings in the schedule in their LOCAL time. The Server determines the MASTER time from which the other time zones are offset. On login, the Client's Day Start is set to the Server's Day Start plus/minus local timezone offset.
Company X has offices in London, Paris, and New York. The Server is in London time with the Timezone Support ON. A booking made in London at 14:00/2:00 pm will appear in the New York office as 09:00/9a (-5hr offset) and in Paris at15:00/3:00 pm (+1hr offset).
Day Starts At: Choose the start of the day to 00:00, 01:00... up until 09:00.
By default, the day (usually) starts at 06:00, which means the day will end at 06:00 the next day. The benefit of this is that a Booking can be scheduled to start at 23:00 and end at 01:00 in the morning of the next day, and still be considered as a single-day Booking, i.e. it will display only the initial date in the Project, later in the Invoice, and will only appear as one day in the Time Report window.
A booking that was booked until 06:00 will now end at 00:00 on the same day and a booking that was booked until 05:00 will now end at 23:00 on the same day. Therefore you may need to reschedule many of your bookings.
Also, consider that all Hourline views will be modified. Each user will have to re-configure their Hourline settings to start and end according to their needs (in toolbox > Settings > Hourline > Viewable Time Frame).
If the day Start time (i.e. the time that FW uses to determine the start of a new day) is set to 6 am for the Server, the Timezone offset will cause the Day Start time in New York to be 01:00/1 am (-5hrs) and in Paris, it will be 07:00/7 am.
Choosing the Day Start time of 00:00 means that a single-day Booking from 23:00 to 01:00 will be considered as a multi-day Booking lasting two days, i.e. it will display both dates in the Project, later in the Invoice, and will appear as two days in the Time Report window.
Also consider that if the involved Object is charged in Day units, you will still be charging for one day in the first scenario, whereas in the second scenario you would be charging two days even though the Booking only lasts 2 hours.
When considering at what time the database day should start, consider when the majority of your Bookings occur and/or when your shifts begin and end (if working with shifts).
It is highly recommended that you decide on this setting at the very beginning of your Server and database setup. If you decide to change the Day Starts At the time at a later stage, the following will occur:
Changing Day Starts At the time from 06:00 to 00:00 for example:
- All bookings that currently start at 06:00 will move to start at 00:00.
- Any bookings that are booked between 00:00 and 06:00 will shift to an earlier time to fit into the newly set Day timeframe.
Things to consider:
When deciding to use Timezone support always consider how the offset will impact the start time in the other time zones.
The company has offices in New York and LA.
If the Server is set to LA time and the day start time set to 8 am the timezone offset would cause the New York offices' start time to be 11 am. This would most likely be inconvenient, as the day's bookings in New York would generally need to start earlier than this.
The Timezone support works optimally when there are no more than 9 hours between the furthest west and the furthest east location. farmerswife cannot calculate the correct time if the time zone offset causes the day to start before midnight and in those instances, it will revert to the original Server Time for those time zone locations.
A company has offices in Spain and LA.
If the Server is set to Spanish time and the Day Start time is set to 6 am, the offset to the LA office (-9hrs) would cause the LA day to start before midnight (6 am-9hrs = 9 pm) and farmerswife would display the original Spanish time even for the office in the LA timezone.
- Company Name and Company Label 1, 2 & 3: The Company Name will display in the top bar of the Server window, and also in the file name when sending a copy of the database to farmerswife Support team via the Send Back up Now button. This info is also used in the Media Library Label Manager (optional module) or Object Manager Print Designer.
- Company Logo: Click to define the logo that will be displayed in all Print Designers throughout farmerswife. It must be in .GIF format and no larger than 140x140 pixels. To add more images, please take a look at the separate Add Images To Report Templates article.
- Server Title: Select an option from the list to name your farmerswife server.
- Allow Chat: Users can chat through the Client application if this option is set to YES. Next to the User icon in the Hourline in the client application, an arrow shows the user is connected. By clicking on the arrow of the user you want to chat with, a window opens for chatting.
- Allow Client Remember Password: For your own security, you can decide whether to allow client applications to remember the user password.
- Use Windows Resolution in OSX Templates: This is a legacy setting that is disabled by default in newer setups.
Templates that are designed on a Mac client will appear a little cramped in a PC client and will show overlapping text. And templates that are set up on a PC client will show with more spaces in a Mac client. Therefore, we recommend creating two separate templates, one for PC and a second one for Mac to overcome this issue.
- Allow "Other" On All Custom Fields: By default set to Yes. Set to No to completely disable the Allow Other option in the Selector Custom Fields all around the system.
Language String Operators: Customize/rename terms and names used within farmerswife Desktop (and Web Client/iOS) Client application, by replacing them with synonyms. For example, replace Project with Production, so everywhere in farmerswife where the word Project appears, it will from now on be Production.
Note: Spaces will not work with the Language String Operators
Note: Using different words can lead to a level of confusion when asking farmerswife Support team for assistance. Sending screenshots with your questions and a copy of the database (using the Send Back Up Now button) will help a lot.
- Force Location Of "Files" Folder: It allows defining a specific location to store farmerswife 'files' folder. This feature is useful if you upload large amounts of data to Projects, Contacts or Media.
Before enabling this feature, all WIFE Client application must be running on the same version as the Server application.
- Shut down the WIFE Server, and ensure everyone has logged out before doing so.
- Copy the existing ‘files’ folder to the new location (../WIFE Server root/files).
- Start the WIFE server.
- Go to Server > Setup > General > Force Location Of "Files" Folder > click on the selector field and browse to the new location of the 'files' folder.
- Note: When using this feature, the new 'files' folder will not be included in the Full Backup. Ensure appropriate backup measures are in place.
- Optional client-side configuration of Path IntoServer "files" Folder:
Recommended if transferring large amounts of data, to enable the direct file transfer through the users’ OS instead of using the File Transfer Engine of farmerswife.
Share (read/write permissions) the new location of the 'files' folder.
Ensure that on all machines this new shared folder is properly mounted. Use the exact same path settings on each machine / OS user profile.
To configure the proper mount point in the Client application, each user has to log in and go to:
WIFE Client > Options > File Settings > Path IntoServer "files" Folder > and then browse to the locally mounted drive and ensure you select the actual "files" folder.
Additionally, this will allow using the Direct Folder Access in the Files window of the Edit Project window.
- PDF Print Export settings: Enable and configure this option to allow farmerswife to:
- Print and send PDF Invoices via email
- Print PDF User/Object Reports from iOS WIFE and Web Client
- Hourline XML Export Directory Repository: To choose the directory (local host or within the network) to where Exported XML Files will be placed. Below this option, define if (Yes) a directory is created for each Hourline View, or (No) if the Hourline View name is placed in the XML file name.
- Allow Changing of Color Theme: Enable this option to allow users to change their Color Mode between Light and Dark within their desktop Client settings (availible for macOS and Windows). When enabled, this will also allow users to choose a Light and Dark color for settings that have color pickers.