Addressing Google's new requirements for less secure apps.
Recently, some clients and users may have begun having issues with emails being sent from their farmerswife Server. Logs will show an authentication error and at times will cause the fw server to begin looping trying to send the emails and eventually crash the fw server app. This is due to a change made by Google May 31, 2022 on how apps access their services.
- When Google updated the method for utilizing their SMTP server through other applications, the biggest change was the new requirement that the main account password not be used to connect the account to the application.
- Users are now required to enable 2-factor authentication on their account and generate a password for each service they want to connect to with the 3rd party application.
- See the below instructions from Google's site on how this process happens.
- The password generated will be 16 characters long and include 3 blank spaces which must also be used when entering this new App Password (i.e. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx) in fw Server > Setup > General > Allow Mail > Password:.
IMPORTANT: Using this kind of password containing multiple spaces is only supported on v6.8!
- From here moving forward this will be the only way you are able to utilize Google SMTP with the farmerswife Server application.