Divisions is an add-on for companies with different business divisions wishing to pool their resources but keep the invoicing separate. It simplifies the process by creating one project and assigning resources from different divisions to it. A choice can be made to issue one client invoice, with the divisions invoicing each other internally, or else to issue separate client invoices for each division involved in the project.
By default the database only contains one, which is hidden, but if additional Divisions are added, it is
possible to define which Division each User / Object / Resource / Project / Media Order / Invoice belongs to and
to filter by Division in these places.
It is still possible to book any Object on any Project as before, but if Objects from different Divisions are
mixed in the same Project they will be invoiced in separate Invoices. In other words, when you create an
Invoice from a Project, it can result in two (or more) Invoices - one for each Division containing the
In Server Setup > General tab > Divisions:
Use the existing grey box to configure one of your Divisions, and add new ones by clicking on the green plus icon.
In the Divisions window, configure the following settings:
- Division ID: by default the database only contains one Division, which is hidden, but additional Divisions can be added (separate sold feature).
- Use Fiscal Year: When enabled, the Fiscal Year as entered in this field, will show on the top left corner of the Invoice Editor. It can be used in combination with the Reset Invoice Numbers option (see below) to establish what the next invoice number should be for the new fiscal year.
- Fiscal Year: Enter the number format for the Fiscal Year e.g. 07 or 2007. For each new Fiscal Year start, this value needs to be manually modified at the beginning of every fiscal year.
- Use Own Credit Note Series: Enable this option to have Credit Notes to use a separate number series from the Invoice series.
- Reset Invoice Numbers: Enter the number that the first Invoice created in the Invoice Creator should have. If the Use Own Credit Note Series option is enabled, you can also enter the number for the first Credit Note. Note that only numbers are allowed.
- Colour: Choose a different colour for each Division.
- OK: Save the configuration and leave this window.
- Cancel: Cancel any changes made and leave this window.
- Delete: To delete the Division. Use with caution.
Below the list of Divisions, there is one more setting:
- Allow Users To Change Their Own Division: Enable this feature if you have some Users who actively travel between Divisions. On the day when the User is working at a different Division, he also needs to go to Toolbox > Settings > Miscellaneous > Division and select the corresponding Division. As a result, any new Project, Contact etc that he creates will use the selected Division automatically.
In Server Setup > Financial tab:
Divisions Share Invoicing Number Series: This feature allows to have all Invoices use the same numbering
series, instead of one series per Division.
When using this feature, if you need to re-set invoice numbering, make sure to add the same number on all
your Divisions, so the first invoice created on any Division will take that new number. The rest of invoice
numbers will follow that one. (tested and works - add pics exemplifying this)
In Server Setup > Media Library tab:
Add Users Division ID To Media Number: It adds the Division ID as a prefix to all Media numbers.
Note: Even without a Division license you can still set up a Division ID on the single Division in Server Setup
> General tab > Divisions.
2. Object Manager
In Object Manager, click on the drop-down menu and select Columns > Division, to get the Division of
Objects to show in the overview.
When creating a new Object (Object, User or Resource) in Object Manager, you can define the specific
Division it belongs to, or if it belongs to any Division.
To change the Division on many Objects at once, mark them and select Change Divisions On Multiple from
the drop-down menu in Object Manager.
You can also use the Export/Import functionality, if you need to change many other details, not only Division. Take a look at the corresponding article.
Note: The Object Division can also be used as a search filter when searching in the Objects window in the
Toolbox. (this could be added as a note in this chapter or move it to another chapter, whatever makes more
Divisions on Contacts are intended for the type Resource only. These Contacts are similar to other bookable
Objects in the database. They can be added to Bookings and have Buy/Sell Rates and will therefore appear
on an Invoice hence they need to have the option to be added to a specific Division or to ‘Any’ and will
behave as described for Objects.
- Divisions can also be set on Client contacts and can server as Filter if some clients belong only to one Division than another.
- Division can be set company related.
- Note: when changing the division through object manager using the change division on multiple, if selecting only one resource that belong to a company, the company's division is actually changed, thus affecting all resources that belong to that company.
The Project Division is set as shown.
Edit Project Window - select Division
In an Invoice the Project Division will only be used in the cases where the Object Division has been set to ‘Any’.
- If the Object added to a Project or Booking has a Division defined, Farmers WIFE will use that to
determine which Division to invoice from.
- Otherwise Farmers WIFE will use the Projects Division.
The Project Division can also be used as search criteria when searching for Projects in the Toolbox or the Advanced Project Search and can be displayed in the Toolbox > Projects > Display: Division.
5. Media Orders
A Media Order Division is set as shown.
Set the Division on the Media Order type from the Server Setup > Media Order or from Object Manager / Server Setup:
If Objects added to a Media Order, including the type of Media Order, have Divisions an Invoice will be created for each Division accordingly.
If an Objects Division is set to ‘Any’, the Division on the Invoice will be the Media Order Division.
In the Invoice the Division for each Financial Line is determined in the following priority order:
- If the Object (Media Order type, Service, Object etc.) has a Division defined, Farmers WIFE will use that
to determine which Division to invoice from.
- Otherwise it will use the Media Order's Division. If the MO type Division is set to Any then Farmers WIFE
will look at the MO Division. The MO Division MUST be selected and operate independently of the
Project Division. A MO Division CAN’T be set to Any!
6. Purchase Orders and Incoming Invoices
7. Divisions and Invoicing
When Invoicing, farmerswife will first look at the Division on an Object to determine which Invoice an Object should belong to. This means that even if a Project has a Division set, the Object Division will still rank higher. If Farmers WIFE finds Objects from Multiple Divisions an Invoice will be created for each Division found. If a Division on an Object is set to ‘Any’, the Object will be invoiced under the same Division as found in the Project.
Set the Division on an Invoice
The Division of an Invoice is determined by either the Object Division or the Project Division as explained above.
An Invoice Division can be changed manually by selecting a different one as shown here.
Please note that if the Division is manually changed on an Invoice, the Invoice Number will NOT automatically change. This will have to be done separately.
If a mistake is made and 2 Invoices were created where only one was required, the 2 Invoices can be merged in to one by highlighting the two Invoices > Right click > Merge (Selection: 2 or x).
farmerswife will offer to ‘Ripple’ (=re-number) the numbers of any Invoices following the lowest number of the two that were merged. ONLY click OK, IF the intention is to RE-NUMBER all Invoices following the merged ones. If no Invoices should be re-numbered apart from the merged ones click CANCEL to keep the original numbering for all other Invoices.
To add the Division column in the Invoice Creator or Invoice Manager Window, go to the black arrow menu or right click > Edit View > Add Invoice / Division to the items in Show.
In the Invoice Manager Invoices can now also be found using the Division as search criteria:
7.1 Invoicing Settings
If Divisions is licensed there will be some extra columns and buttons in the Invoice Creator.
If Divisions is licensed an additional column "Division" appears to the left of the Closed Projects And Done
Media Orders window indicating which Division the Project belongs to and the following additional settings
will appear in the drop down of this window:
Division Invoice Creation Mode
- Create Invoice Based On Project's Division: Invoices will be created based on the Project's Division (It
doesn't matter if the Objects inside belong to different Divisions.).
- Create One Invoice For Each Used Objects Division: One Invoice per used Division will be created.
7.2 Create Internal Invoice From Used Objects Division
Create Internal Invoice From Used Objects Division: Allows to create an internal Invoice for Objects with
different Divisions that are inside of a Project and have been invoiced with the Projects Division.
Example: When invoicing Project X, 1 invoice for Division A is created (setting set in the Closed Projects
window) but inside the Project there are Objects that belong to for example Division A and B. Division A will
invoice the client for services that have been provided by Division B so Division B will want to send an
'internal' invoice to Division A.
Automated Internal Invoices
In 6.5 there's a new setting "Automatically Creates Internal Invoices When Invoicing" to automate the process of creating internal invoices. It was already possible to manually create internal invoices when using Objects from different Divisions in a Project. If for example a Project from Division UK used some Objects from Division US, at the moment of creating the Invoice to the client there was an extra manual step to create an Internal Invoice from US to UK. (An Internal Invoice is created from the Division that an Object belongs to, to the Division that used it.)
Now with the new setting the Internal Invoice will automatically be created once a full or a part invoice is created.
Enable the new setting "Automatically Creates Internal Invoices When Invoicing" in the Invoice Creator > Menu > Division Invoice Creation Mode. It is a per user setting and disabled by default.
To be able to use this feature, the following setting needs to be enabled: Invoice Creator > Menu > Division Invoice Creation Mode: > Create Invoice Based On Project's Division.
8. Reports and Divisions
in FRD you can group by Divisions.