What is WebCal?
The WebCal functionality of the WIFE Server allows subscribing to the Events of Objects, Object Classes, Users, Resources and Projects from farmerswife in your local 3rd party calendar application, like iCal, Outlook, Sunbird, iPhone, iPod Touch etc.
WebCal can be also used with any other software that supports the WebCal standard protocol and "Digest Access authentication" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digest_access_authentication for more info).
Google Calendar does not support this authentication mechanism. Therefore since version 5.1 we have added a new option to define a unique WebCal Direct URL Key Access per user, so WebCal can be also used from Google Calendar.
Who can use WebCal?
- Advanced Users and Web Users
- Resources who have been granted Web Access
- Clients (see details at the bottom of this document)
1. Url and Http Port
For this feature to work, you need to configure the Http Port and the Url To Server settings in WIFE Server > Setup > General tab > Legacy HTTP Settings.
- Http Port: This port is by default set to 27000.
- Url To Server: This setting defines the “accessible” location of the farmerswife Server application. Enter your public IP address or domain name; the “WebCal Index page” then uses this information.
IMPORTANT: To access both Http Port and Url To Server from inside or outside your local area network (LAN) you have to properly open and “port forward” the Http Port value (TCP in/out) on your Internet Router and ensure this port is open on any involved firewall. See the “Server Ports and Access Tiers” PDF for more detailed information.
2. Enable WebCal
In WIFE Client > Toolbox > Settings > Server Setup > Web Share Settings > WebCal, configure the following options:
- Mark the Enabled check-box to turn the feature on.
- Select the days that will be updated: in Show Days Before / After
- Enable the option to Allow WebCal URL Key Access, to be able to define a WebCal URL Key Access for Resources, and also for Users who use Google Calendar.
3. Allow access and set up permissions
Each User or Resource that needs to use WebCal must have it enabled in his or her Web Permission Profile: Allowed Access Tiers > Webcal (ical, outlook, etc. calendar subscription).
To allow subscribing to own Object only, enable Events > Objects > His Own Object > Can View
To allow subscribing to all Objects, enable Events > All Objects > Can View
To allow subscribing to only some Objects, enable them under Events > Specific Object Level Control
To allow subscribing to Projects where User/Resource in involved, enable Projects > Show > Projects That He Has A Relation To
Note that all of these options need to be enabled in combination with any of the following options, depending on the needs:
- Events > Show Event > Always
- Events > Show Event > If He Has A Relation To Its Project
- Events > Show Event > If He Is Involved In It
For more details on the Web Profile Manager, please refer to the Web Permission Profiles.
4. Define Direct URL Key Access
For Users who use Google Calendar, and also to invite Resources you need to define a direct URL Key Access on their profile.
Per User > open the Modify User window (in Object Manager) > click on the drop-down menu next to the Permission Profile and define a unique URL key, e.g. the user’s Nick Name or name and last name in one word.
Per Resource > open the Modify Contact window (in Toolbox > Contacts) > click on drop-down menu next to Web Access and define a unique URL key – it could be the contact’s name and last name.
Accessing WebCal index
Advanced Users can access the WebCal index from within the farmerswife Client, by clicking on Menu and selecting Open WebCal Index.
Else open a web browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome) and type:
http://<Your Url To Server>:<Your Http Port>/webcal/index.html
Once in, log-in with your farmerswife user access credentials.
Subscribing to a WebCal on Outlook, iCal, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
- Click on the ICS icon to the left of the Object, Project or View you wish to subscribe to, or on the name itself. Note that Users/Resources will only get listed those Objects and/or Projects that have been enabled in their Web Permission Profiles:
- Follow the instructions in the following pop-up windows.
- Once the selected WebCals are added to the User/Resource’s 3rd party Calendar application, they will be able to manage them according to the available options in that application: display day or whole week, rename a Calendar, hide it, delete it, etc.
Subscribing to a WebCal on Google Calendar
To subscribe to a WebCal on Google Calendar:
- Right-mouse click on the ICS icon to the left of the icon Object, View or Project you wish to subscribe and use “Copy Link Address” (depending on the web browser you use, this might be called differently). Note that Users/Resources will only get listed those Objects and/or Projects that have been enabled in their Web Permission Profiles.
- Go to your Google Calendar and create a new calendar by clicking on the arrow to the right of the “Other calendars” section and selecting “Add by URL”. Next, paste the copied link.
In the example below, three calendars have been created.
Subscribing to a WebCal on iCloud calendar
To subscribe to a WebCal on iCloud Calendar:
- Right-mouse click on the ICS icon to the left of the icon Object, View or Project you wish to subscribe and use “Copy Link Address” (depending on the web browser you use, this might be called differently). Note that Users/Resources will only get listed those Objects and/or Projects that have been enabled in their Web Permission Profiles:
- Go to your iCloud Calendar and create a new calendar by clicking on file > New Calendar Subscription...
- Paste the link into the “Enter The URL of the calendar you want to subscribe to”, and change the “webcal” in the beginning of the link to: http.
- Adjust the settings to your needs. Make sure that the Location is set to iCloud and that the “ Auto Refresh” is set to at least every day.
Enabling and configuring WebCal for your Clients
It is very important to set some restrictions on the Web Permission Profile assigned to your Clients, if all you need is that they can only subscribe to events from Projects they are involved in.
First of all, in WIFE Client > Toolbox > Contacts > open the Client Contact, open the Web Profile Manager and create a new Profile: Client Access.
In the now open Web Profile Manager window, right mouse click in the grey area in the top left pane choose: New Profile.
Select the following settings and leave the rest un-ticked or set to NO:
- Allowed Access Tiers > WebCal
- Allowed Access Tiers > Web Access (needed to activate user and password)
- Events > Objects > All Objects > Can View
- Events > Show Events > If He Has A Relation To Its Project > Yes
- Projects > Show > Projects That He Has A Relation To
- Contacts > Events > Allow Showing Events Related To Contact => can see only his Projects
- Contacts > Events > Allow Showing Events Related To Company => can see any Bookings for Projects whose contacts belong to same Company/Client
Once done, click OK to close the Web Profile Manager window and in the Modify Contact window, enable the Web Access and make sure that your Client has a valid email address. Also your user has to have valid email address set, for the invitation to work.
If this person is to subscribe to WebCal on a Google Calendar, then you also need to define a URL key access.
Your Client will receive an automatic email and will be prompted to set a password (this is necessary to be able to subscribe to WebCal).
It is not recommended that you send the WebCal Index page link directly to your Client, as the link will also contain all Objects listed in the index. Then follow these steps:
- In your own Web Profile, add the option Projects > Show > All Projects
- Open your own WebCal index
- Right click on the Project that you wish your Client to get subscribed to > select Properties > copy the URL Address
- Send this link by email to your client, and explain that he will first need to go through the first automatic email invitation to set a password.
- Once he has set up his farmerswife password, he will be able to click on the link you sent him and use his farmerswife user credentials (his/her used email address + the set password) to subscribe to this Project calendar – if subscribing on iCal, Outlook, iPhone… If subscribing on Google Calendar, then he needs to follow the same steps explained further up for users and resources.